Monday, November 1, 2010

The Day After Tomorrow

There are certain days to which I really look forward. Some obscure, some predictable. For instance, under the heading "predictable" I'd list Christmas Eve. Ever since I was a kid I could not wait for that day. In a strange way, even sometimes more than Christmas Day itself. All of the anticipation and joy for what's to come seem to culminate and, in a strange way, hold an even greater sense of excitement than the next day itself!

Under the "obscure" section I have three that stand out. One is a generally "undetermined until the last minute" day, usually sometime in February. It's the day that pitchers and catchers report to their respective training camps signaling the beginning of spring training, which then leads to the start of the regular season of baseball. I know, obscure. But I can't wait.

Another obscure day is December 22nd or 23rd. It's the day on the calendar when the days begin to get longer. The shortest day of the year is generally December 21st (although that sometimes changes by a few hours in one direction or another) so the day following is when the days begin to legthen, if even by a minute or so. It begins to point to the coming of summer. I know, obscure.

The last of my obscure days generally happens every two years. It is the first Wednesday in the month of November. It's always that day because it is the day after the first Tuesday of the month, which is election day. So that means that every two years when we are in either a mid-term or Presidential cycle of elections, all of the ads on television and raido have to stop on Wednesday since the election is over. I know, obscure. But I REALLY can't wait.

I weary of the "he said, she said" kind of mentality that creeps into the election process. I grow tired of the constant berating of our ears as to why this candidate shouldn't be considered rather than why this one should.

Someone said something very wise to me coming out of church yesterday. I had commented on the passage in Revelation chapter five when it appears that the scroll God is holding, while sitting on the throne, contains what is yet to unfold in history (see Revelation 5: 6-14..or go to www.Wabashpres.com and listen to the sermon [cheap plug, I know!]). So in a very real way, God holds our history in his hands. This gentleman remarked that the politicians need to remember that. He bemoaned the fact that those that jockey for political position seem to think that somehow they hold our futures rather than God. He then went on to comment that there will come a day when they might be surprised. That there is coming a day when all of history comes to fruition and the one that holds it in his hand will not be representing any political party, but rather will be the one to whom each party will answer.

Nothing obscure about that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment