Monday, February 7, 2011

A Quick Pit Stop

I am about to show my ignorance when it comes to auto racing. I know absolutely nothing. I barely can tell you the difference between NASCAR and Hot Wheels. But I do know, from time to time, drivers must take a pit stop.

And, I've even seen, at times, drivers pull into the pit just slow enough to grab a cup of water, or Gatorade, or whatever might be in the cups, from some kind of fancy cup holder at the end of a telescopic pole, and then speed right back onto the track. My understanding is that the temperature inside those cars while wearing the kind of fireproof suits they have to wear brings about quite a thirst. If they aren't properly hydrated, they run the risk of passing out; never a good idea while driving a piece of machinery that fast!

I took a pit stop last week. I had the opportunity to attend the Desiring God for Pastors conference in Minneapolis. It was a three day conference focused solely on prayer. It featured some great speakers, great times of worship, and, for me personally, a great pit stop.

If you're like me, life tends to move, at times, at breakneck speed. And, like the race car drivers, some of that moving is around and around to the point of near dizziness. And, especially in the ministry where we are giving out so much of the time, it is easy to become spiritually dehydrated. But that condition is not something that only affects pastors. It can happen to anyone who is in a position of giving out; parents, students, spouses, employees, you name it. So let me ask you a somewhat pointed question; "Are you in need of a pit stop?"

I think the most logical analogy to the pit stop is that daily time with God. Are you setting aside time to be refreshed? Maybe, with your particular schedule, you aren't able to pull off the track for very long (to press the analogy) but only are able to slow enough to grab the cup of Gatorade off the pole. Or, maybe your time does allow for longer stops; to actually fuel up, even change the oil perhaps.

I have found that the most helpful tool in enabling that kind of time to occur is to budget for it. For me, it begins the night before with getting to bed at a reasonable time. My most productive time is early morning. It might not be the same for you. But the one need that is universal is to come and drink from the source of Living Water; Jesus. One of the speakers at this conference said the following: When we take hold of God, He takes hold of us. Are you overdue? Why not put on your blinker, slow down, and pull in!

No comments:

Post a Comment