Monday, September 27, 2010

Not All Clutter is Bad

Looking across my desk this morning, I realize that it started out very clean at 7:50 this morning. It's already cluttered. But that's not all bad. It can remind me (and you, I hope) of God's grace. Let me explain.
Working left to right, I notice the first piece of paper reminds me of something I need to cover with my staff tomorrow in our staff meeting. It also speaks to me of how fortunate I am to have such a great staff working along side of me in the cause of proclaiming Jesus.
Next to that is a page from a yellow pad which has lots written on it that is now crossed off. It was last week's "to do" list. Seeing items crossed off reminds me that God enabled me, last week, to complete a multiplicity of tasks while it also speaks of his ability to do that this week as well! God's faithfulness illustrated by pen and ink.
In addition, on that same page, are the scribbles of notes for an Advent series that I began working on last week. It reminds me of the quiet time I had last Thursday when I secluded myself in the Prayer Center here at church so I could do some advance sermon planning. God met me there, I feel, to give me some needed direction for the coming season of Advent, (which isn't that far off!).
My open calendar sits next on the desk revealing the coming week; fairly open so far, but already filling having been in the office over two hours now. To me, a reminder of the opportunities I will have this week to convey the grace of God to those who have cried out in need of some counsel. It also reminds me of my dependence on His grace; I'm insufficient, in and of myself, to give all that they will need.
I could go on, since there's more clutter. But I think I may have made my point. Not all clutter is bad; it can represent a multi-faceted, multi-tasking God who seeks to convey his goodness and grace in every situation, if we'll see it. Perhaps "clutter" is more of what we do, rather than what God does.

No comments:

Post a Comment